Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"New" vocabulary for the 21st century

Today, as I'm reading some of my newly favorite blogs on the web, I'm thinking about all the new vocabulary that I've learned over the past few weeks. Here's a list of just a few of the terms I've read repeatedly. I suspect I'll be adding to this list as I go along:

blogs
wikis
rss feeds
aggregators
podcast/podcasting
transformative tools
social networks
read/write web
web 2.0
personal learning spaces
collective knowledge spaces
digital storytelling
digital natives

So our vocabulary has changed quite a bit over the past ten or so years hasn't it? We know what the research says about the need for students to have an understanding of vocabulary in order to be successful in their learning, in making connections to new learning. A learner is a learner is a learner...So what about teachers? Do they need to understand these words in order to understand what's going on with our kids outside of the classroom? If we want to help them connect to new information about the use of technology in instruction we probably need to start by helping them understand the language we use when we discuss this topic.

No comments: